Thursday, September 2, 2010

Is Castor Oil made from Beavers?

Sometimes the search for meaning goes astray...

My daughter has a cute toy from Canada, a "canned beaver".  As with many Canadian products, the label is written in English and French, and so it also says "castor en boite" which obviously means "canned beaver".

Well I never knew what castor oil was, since it's one of those things you read about in old stories but nobody ever uses nowadays, but it does have a reputation for tasting foul.  So I put 2 and 2 together (tentatively) and thought "oh no, they used to make that stuff out of beavers, horrible!".

That awful thought ran around in my mind for a while, but I finally had the chance to check it out on Wikipedia, and I'm very relieved to know that Castor Oil is extracted from the seeds of the Castor plant.

So is there a connection between castor oil and beavers?  Surprisingly, there is!  According to Wikipedia, "The common name "castor oil" probably comes from its use as a replacement for castoreum, a perfume base made from the dried perineal glands of the beaver (castor in Latin).".

No comments:

Post a Comment